"The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give it away." David Viscott

Monday, June 13, 2011

Finding the Right Words

Yesterday I finally had the time to sit down and fill out the CGOA application for Crochet Associate Professional.  It took me about 3 hours from start to finish.  Most of that time was spent in trying to find the right words to express what I wanted to say without writing a book about it.

In my real world experience, when asked questions like "what do you feel..." or "what do you think about.."  short, concise answers work best.  Not a couple of words short, but short as in a paragraph or bulleted list several items long.  I got hung up on the first response to "describe your efforts to work professional so far."

I learned to crochet when I was 7, but didn't really get into it until my late teens.  By my early twenties I had mastered most of the stitches.  I was modifying patterns to fit my taste and needs throughout my late twenties.  In my thirties I was writing my own patterns for me.

I dabbled with submitting to magazines.  That is, I would mail off an entry every few months or so.  I only had a few hours a week to crochet, and that was spent primarily making gifts for family and friends.  I hadn't a clue as to how to make crochet into a career, so it remained a hobby.

How does one describe a series of events in life that act as a wake up call?  Karma?  Coincidence?  I'm not sure, but I find myself now with both the time and the desire to pursue crochet more seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment