"The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give it away." David Viscott

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Establishing A Routine

They say it takes 3 weeks or 21 days to make or break a habit.  Today marks the beginning of my fifth week of blogging every weekday morning.  It has become a standard part of my day to grab a cup of coffee and sit at the computer, check email and blog. 

Some days start earlier than others, thanks to summer thunderstorms and nervous animals, but the routine remains the same.  I find it peaceful and easy to channel my thoughts to writing first thing in the morning.  Once completed, I work on creating designs by sketching and writing notes as to the type of yarn, etc.  I've noticed that there does not seem to be a whole lot of time (it seems that 4-6 weeks is average) to compile a submission for publication. Therefore, I've decided to create several sketches of ideas for future projects. 

At this point in my day, the rest of the household is generally up and about.  Time to grab my crochet hook and sit in my favorite spot in the living room so I know what's going on and am available to talk to while I work.  I'll bounce future design ideas off of my family and get their input.  All the while my hook is flying in creating the finished product I'm currently working on.

I do not usually get a lot accomplished, sometimes only a row or two, before the rest of the world is open for business.  This means errands, appointments, shopping, phone calls ..... well, you get the idea. This has generated the crochet bag that goes with me absolutely everywhere!   I love weekends for the simple fact that I can remain crocheting for hours and only go out if I want to.

My next dedicated crochet time is evening, a habit I started years ago.  After dinner, I'll be in the living room crocheting away while being available for homework help and avid discussion.

I think establishing a daily routine is important, as dedicated blocks of time for certain tasks allows them to be achieved.  If you think back to when you were in school, each class for each subject was scheduled.  You knew exactly what you were supposed to be doing at any given time, and you accomplished a lot.  Transfer this idea to your life now, and you may be surprised at how well it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment