"The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give it away." David Viscott

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Crochet Portfolio

This is one of those things that I can't believe I didn't think of sooner.  Although I have always wanted to put together a photo album of my work, it's been on my to-do list for years now.  I read a post yesterday about a crochet portfolio that was a tremendous wake up call.

It makes sense that any aspiring crochet designer would have a portfolio to showcase their talents and provide a professional presentation of their skills to those who would purchase their designs.  A portfolio is as important to an artist as a resume is to a business person.  Even freelance writers have a portfolio of writing samples. 

What is a portfolio in this sense?  It is a collection of the artist's recent work that showcases their talents and vision.  Therefore, a crochet portfolio should have copies of recently published items as well as design proposals ready for sale.  Art portfolios are in specialty cases due to their size.  A crochet design portfolio can be in a 3-ring binder or a computer tablet. 

I think I will create mine using the 3-ring binder.  Swatches are part of the proposal, and you can't feel and stretch the fabric represented by a computer tablet or laptop.  As I am new to this, I have many more design proposals than published works.  The portfolio is going on my to-do list so it will be ready when I need it.  Maybe I'll actually get that photo album done as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment