"The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give it away." David Viscott

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Yarn Hoarding

Yesterday, one of my family members came close to accusing me of being a hoarder of yarn.  "There are bags of it in almost every room in the house!"  she said.

I will concede she is partly correct.  The moving things around to change the purpose of a couple of different rooms in my house is far from complete.  However, this does not mean I am a hoarder.

By definition, a hoarder is someone who collects things then fails to use them or give them up.  Yes, I collect yarns for projects.  If she bothered to open the smaller bags, she would more than likely find a pattern in there with the yarn.  Sometimes I buy yarn in bulk at yarn sales, and these beloved skeins are in larger, clear plastic bags so I can see exactly what is in there.  I cannot be classified as a hoarder, however, as I use the yarns - constantly.  I also have given many skeins away.

I will confess to an iota of emotional appreciation of certain yarns that feel wonderful and are pleasing to the eye.  Yet those yarns are always made into something more, something that is either sold or given away.  Yarn is the main material of my craft - of course I have a stash of it!!

I think her complaint has more to do with the fact that I am not currently using wool.  Once a year, there is a yarn sale at a local farm where I stock up on all the different weights and colors of wool I plan to use.  It supports the local economy and saves me a ton of money!  Usually I have gone through over half of what I purchased by this time of year.  Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case this year.  Does this mean I'm a hoarder?  I think it means that once the weather turns, I'll be very busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment