"The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give it away." David Viscott

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Crochet For Fun And Profit

Crocheting For Fun and Profit is a book that was written by Darla Sims.  I picked it up at Barnes and Noble when it first came out in 2000.  Even though it is now over 10 years old, the information inside is still applicable to today.



Reading this book made me believe that it was possible to crochet for money.  It gave me the courage to submit my first design to the Herrschner's Afghan contest in 2001, which won honorable mention and yes, did pay.  What's better than getting paid and published at the same time?

The uniqueness of this book also struck me.  In a world of books on how-to crochet and thousands of patterns, it stood out.  I don't know of any other how to make money doing something you love to do in your free time anyway book out there.  This book discusses niches and the business end of things as well as technique.  It offers options.

During a time when the economy is down, this book is well worth the investment.  Darla does not go into using the Internet, but those who already know the web should be able to apply her ideas to it.  The legal stuff hasn't changed that much, if at all.  As I discovered from my CGOA mentor recently, the part about finding your niche is still very important.

If you are looking for a good summer book to read, do a search for  Crocheting for Fun and Profit.  You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment