"The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give it away." David Viscott

Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer Is For Sock Yarn

As I was putting a hank of sock yarn on my swift to wind yesterday, it occurred to me how wonderful sock and other fingering weight yarns are for working with in the summer months.  Although I wouldn't recommend 100% wool or alpaca, the fiber blends are wonderful.  Cotton and bamboo are terrific as well. 

Why?  They are light weight.  This means you are not going to be engulfed by a heavy warm fabric while working on it.  The skeins are small and easily portable, so you can bring them anywhere.  Finally, they come in such a vibrant array of color schemes, they are fun to work with.

I don't restrict myself to using sock yarns only to make socks.  I love to see the color variations when I use it to make shawls, scarves, tops, light sweaters and skirts.  "Self-Striping" sock yarns sometimes turn a larger project into a tie-dye color scheme. 

Sock yarns also make wonderful plus-size items.  Since gravity pulls down and most fibers have some sort of stretch, light weight yarn a crucial part of retaining the shape of larger garments that drape.  Of course there are many other factors to consider, but to me this is important.  Who wants to wear a 5 pound skirt?

I am amazed at the number of people I meet who say they love to knit or crochet, but don't in the summer because it is simply too hot.  I have never found myself with sweaty hands working with sock yarns, cottons, or bamboo no matter how high the thermometer goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment