"The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give it away." David Viscott

Friday, May 20, 2011

Yarn Stash Control

As any crochet, knit, or yarn enthusiast is well aware, their stash of yarn can easily take over the entire house.  My breaking point, that point at which I knew I had a problem I had to figure out how to control, was when I went looking for a particular yarn in my closet, my daughter's room, the hallway closet AND my yarn closet without finding what I was looking for.  I did, however, find that the space bags I had so carefully packed with precious yarn had split open. 

That experience, coupled with the decline in the economy, led to stash control rule #1:

ONLY PURCHASE YARN FOR A SPECIFIC PROJECT

Since I have so much yarn around the house already, rule #2:

LOOK THROUGH WHAT YOU HAVE ON HAND BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING!  USE IT IF YOU HAVE IT!

How many times have you come across a yarn that you had purchased because it was beautiful and you would find a use for it someday?  Then, when you have found that use, you realize you don't have enough of the yarn to complete the project?  Thus, rule #3:

PURCHASE ENOUGH YARN TO COMPLETE THE SPECIFIC PROJECT AND LABEL IT WHEN YOU GET HOME

I use 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags and write on them with a Sharpie what project I have in mind for it.  I know I can find the pattern directions in my Crochet Calender Binder (see previous post) which I take out and place a check mark next to the materials just purchased.  All of these zip lock bags are in the same location, so I know exactly where to look to find it.

Following these three rules has taken a dent out of my stash, thus making it much more manageable.  It has also saved tons of time looking for yarn, giving me more time to crochet it!

No comments:

Post a Comment