"The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give it away." David Viscott

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Blogging and Submissions

When I first started this blog, I thought it would simply be a matter of time organization to continue blogging and working submissions.  I discovered I was wrong.

Getting a submission together can be all encompassing.  There are many details to focus on, and I find that some aspect or other of the current project is always running through my mind.  It may take only 20 minutes to write a blog, but how many stitches of a swatch can be completed in that time?  Once a submission is done and sent in, I feel free to write again. 

I found an interesting thread on Ravelry about this very topic.  It seems that many designers want to share their submission with the world via their blog once the project is completed.  I can identify, as it's a way to decompress and finalize the fact that the submission is done.  Yet most publishers want these submission hidden until they have had the chance to review and choose to publish or not.  Therefore, some designers choose to reveal "hints" in their blogs - type of yarn used, stitch techniques, etc. - without actually revealing what the project was. 

For my own sanity, it's easier for me to submit and forget.  I know it will be a long time before I hear back from the publisher.  Therefore, once the submission is mailed out I start looking for my next project, pushing the previous one from my mind.  It's not easy, after spending as much time on it as I have, but it is necessary to keep looking forward.  Once the submission is in, it is no longer in my control, so I let it go. 

While the ideas are bouncing around in my head for the next submission, I blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment